Wednesday, December 28, 2005

though you hit me hard i come back...

stength is an interesting concept. you see i had a conversation tonight with a friend and like most christians she thinks that she should distance herself from those who might be considered bad influences. i dont disrespect her for choosing to live life and be around good influences, i like to be around people who encourage me also, but i guess sometimes i wonder who are we supposed to encourage if we only try to be around those who encourage us. strength was the topic because i said that i like to be around people who arent christian or religioous. and i think that i can think about those relationships without being discouraged or *brought down*. i dont think that i am stronger or more capable of avoiding sin or struggle but i think that we are able to have relationships that we are teh stronger person in. i think that this is the beauty of being a christian the fact that we can rely on christ to be our strength and our center. also my sister said something that was in an unrelated conversation and it stuck with me and i think that it was perfect for this conversation i just didnt make the conection until now. she said that at teh greek orthodox church the greet eachother and think of eachother as icons. (icons are the pictures of the saints. they think of people as icons becuase we are created in teh image of God. i like that idea and i think that i love you becuase i can see something divine in you.) its tough to be home and i am ready to leave though i love my family i am ready to miss them. i guess the grass is always greener. just som thoughts.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read this morning in Matthew that Jesus started preaching the kingdom while in the region of Galilee. The prophecy leading to this calls this region "Galilee of the Gentiles," and speaks of the people there as living in great darkness.

I think Jesus was a whole lot more human than Christians allow him to be, and he took his disciples (lacking the "divine" nature) to some pretty filthy places, i.e. Caesarea Phillipi. So I'm going to say that I don't agree with exclusivity in relationships. Also, based in personal experience, I believe that holding to this exclusivity breeds contempt for our neighbors and an idolization of our brothers.

Landon

29.12.05  
Blogger LMO said...

If you must spend yout time around christians to avoid sin, then i guess that is what you need to do. But as a person who used to not be christian but went to a christian school, I noticed every time that a christian walked away when i entered the room... I noticed who chose not to spend their time around me... and it turned me farther away from the chritian faith because i would always think, "oh, how un-christian of to judge me. how un-christian of you to not give me a chance. how hypocritical of you to not extend a hand to me."

I have had this conversation in the past with other non-christian friends and they all agree that this behavior pushes them farther away from christian faith, regardless of whether or not it is intentional, because it seems to make the faith hypocritical.

29.12.05  

Post a Comment

<< Home